Monday, May 17, 2010

obligation

If a party or wedding is supposed to be a joyous event then why do I so often feel obligated to attend? This weekend, my husband and I attended a "family" wedding in Salt Lake City. The mother of the groom is Mike's cousin. I've met the groom once or twice. I find his mother, Deb, to be a bit of a moocher. She visits us periodically, stays at the house, uses our cars, and never offers to pick up a bill or show appreciation. We attended her daughter's wedding a few years back and it was awful. Bad food, immature bride, weird guests. This one was pretty much the same.

It was a rainy day, which is pretty typical for Salt Lake City. The ceremony was outside. Wouldn't the hosts plan ahead for this possibility? Luckily, it was a pretty light sprinkle. We sat outside while the bride and groom celebrated their marriage vows (they were under a canopy, of sorts). The service was really nice, great pastor, but it did last an hour. Luckily, my hair is now straight due to the magic of the Brazilian Blow Out. If I'd ended up with frizzy hair I would have really been pissed.

The reception was inside (lucky us). Since the bride and groom are recovering addicts there was no alcohol. Not a great way to start, per me. The buffet line lasted forever. We sat at one of the family tables--the mother of the bride and her boyfriend (they own a clinic for recovering addicts), her brother and sister (she was adopted and only meant them a few years ago)--they are both in the car transport business. Mike's other cousin, Doug, was there. He is sweet but has Down's Syndrome. His girlfriend was also present and she has cerebral palsey--Tamara. She was the best of the lot. I loved her comment, "Where can we get some alcohol?"

No comments:

Post a Comment